26 May Summer 2020: 1 in 5 young adults will travel abroad from the UK
26th May 2020
One quarter will wait until after the summer
Figure 1 above shows that 20.5% of young British adults are willing to travel abroad in the summer months of June, July and August 2020. A further 25.4% are willing to travel after the summer months. Taken together, 45.9% of young adults in the UK are willing to travel abroad during 2020.
Younger are more willing to travel
Figure 2 shows that both age groups are equally likely to travel abroad in the summer (20.9% of 18-24 year olds, 20.2% of 25-34 year olds). The older age group will travel earlier: they are twice as likely to travel in June and 16% of them are willing to travel in June and July, as compared to 8.8% of the younger age group. The younger age group is more willing to travel in August. Within each age group , there is a small majority who are unwilling to travel abroad at all in 2020.
Men more likely to travel in summer 2020
Talingual is a specialist multilingual recruitment agency serving clients across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. For more information please see www.talingual.com.
About this survey
This survey was conducted online in English between 16th May 2020 and 18th May 2020. A total of 205 responses was received from respondents in the UK aged between 18 and 34 years. 91 respondents were aged 18-24 and 114 were aged 25-34. 91 respondents were female and 114 were male. The survey comprised one question to which respondents could choose only one answer.
Talingual is conducting a series of Willingness to Travel surveys during May 2020 to better understand how COVID-19 will impact the willingness of candidates to relocate for a new role. The total dataset will comprise approximately 600 responses from young adults in Germany, the United Kingdom and France.