19 May 1 in 2 young Germans are willing to travel abroad in 2020
19th May 2020 – Germany is preparing to ease its inbound and outbound border restrictions, but are young Germans willing to travel abroad? Talingual’s WIllingness to Travel survey of German residents aged between 18 and 34 shows that one half of the population is willing to travel abroad this year and that just over a quarter are willing to travel as soon as June and July 2020.
27% are willing to travel in June and July 2020
The chart above shows that 36.5% of young Germans are willing to travel abroad in the summer months of June, July and August. A further 14% are willing to travel after the summer months. Taken together, this means that 50.5% of young Germans are willing to travel abroad during 2020.
Consistency between age groups
There is little distinction between the two age groups of 18-24 year olds and 25-34 year olds across all responses. The older age group is slightly more inclined to travel in June and July but over the course of the three summer months, the willingness of both age groups to travel are very similar at 37.0% (18-24 years) and 35.9% (25-34 years).
Men more likely to travel in June and July
Talingual is a specialist multilingual recruitment agency serving clients across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. For more information please see www.talingual.com.
About this survey
This survey was conducted online in German between 16th May 2020 and 18th May 2020. A total of 200 responses was received from respondents in Germany aged between 18 and 34 years. 108 respondents were aged 18-24 and 92 were aged 25-34. 104 respondents were female and 96 were male. The survey comprised one question to which respondents could choose only one answer.
Talingual is conducting three Willingness to Travel surveys during May 2020 to better understand the impact of COVID-19 on the willingness of candidates to relocate for a new role. The total dataset will comprise approximately 600 responses from young people in Germany, the United Kingdom and France.